The beautiful cookies pictured above are just the thing to set green tea lovers hearts racing. Mine’s running amok and I’m just looking at the picture. The recipe is from one of the most amazing dessert cookbooks of all time, Unforgettable Desserts by Dede Wilson. See below for cute leaf cookie cutters from Amazon.
Matcha Tea Leaf Shortbreads Recipe
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into pieces
1 to 2 tablespoons matcha (powdered green tea), to taste
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon coarse sanding sugar, optional
1. Line 2 jelly-roll pans with parchment paper; set aside.
2. Whisk the flour and salt together in a small bowl to aerate and combine; set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter on medium-high speed with the flat paddle attachment until creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the matcha and beat until the mixture is a uniform green color and very creamy. Add the sugar gradually and continue beating on high speed until very light and fluffy. Turn the machine off, add about one third of the flour, then turn the machine on to low speed. Gradually add the remaining flour, mixing just until blended, scraping down the bowl once or twice. The mixture will look crumbly; if you squeeze it between your fingers, it will come together. Gather it together into a ball with your hands while it is still in the bowl.
4. Roll out the shortbread dough to a 1/4-inch thickness between two pieces of lightly floured parchment. Peel off the top parchment and cut the dough in half. Sprinkle the sanding sugar evenly over one half of the shortbread dough and gently, with hardly any pressure, roll over it with a rolling pin to help it adhere. Using a 2 x 1-inch leaf-shaped cookie cutter, cut out as many cookies as possible from both doughs and place on the prepared pans 1 inch apart. Use the back of a sharp paring knife to make vein patterns on each shortbread (see photo above). Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to overnight, if desired.
5. Position racks in the upper and lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C) . Bake the shortbreads for 17 to 22 minutes, or until the cookies are dry and firm to the touch; their color will not change. The shortbreads should retain their shape if you try to pick one up, and there should also be a fragrant butter and matcha scent emanating from the oven. Cool on the pans set on racks for a couple of minutes, and then carefully transfer the cookies to racks to cool completely. Store the shortbreads at room temperature for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
More about Unforgettable Desserts:
Baking expert and public television cooking show host Dede Wilson helps you create show-stopping desserts that will make a lasting impression
If you’re looking for a little wow factor to liven up the end of a meal, this is the book for you! Dede Wilson gives you a collection of desserts that are exotic, extravagant, and absolutely unforgettable-and you don’t have to be a pastry chef to make them.
Many of the recipes are deceptively simple, such as the gorgeous Matcha Tea Leaf Shortbread and the amazing Hot Chocolate Truffle Bombs, made with just three ingredients. Others are more adventurous, such as the Chocolate-Glazed Marzipan Cake with Cognac-Soaked Apricots. Filled with surprises for the eye as well as the palate, the desserts you make from this book will be sure to keep guests talking long after the party is over. An ideal resource for holidays, birthdays, or any special occasion, Unforgettable Desserts
Features 150 recipes for unforgettable cookies and bars, cakes, pies, tarts, custards, mousses, frozen desserts, candies, confections, and more
Offers precise, easy-to-follow instructions and valuable tips
Contains over thirty stunning color photographs of finished desserts
Includes recipes for all skill levels
Is written by the host of public television’s Seasonings with Dede Wilson and the author of Wedding Cakes You Can Make
If you’re looking to take your baking to the next level, Dede Wilson gives you desserts that take the cake-and the cookie, the pie, the pudding, and much more! – Amazon.com Review
To order your copy of Unforgettable Desserts, click the link.
Photo Credit: Unforgettable Desserts by Dede Wilson
Leaf Cookie Cutters from Amazon:
Click the following link for even More Leaf Cookie Cutters!